Video marketing statistics and trends are among the hottest topics at every industry event over the last year, from Advertising Week to Digiday. It’s no surprise given how many industries are pivoting to video and the rise in digital storytelling on both the buy-side and the sell-side.
Marketers are realizing the immense opportunity that digital video ads offer for their video marketing strategy, including targeting, tracking, and delivering personalized messaging in real time. Digital publishers are also finding digital video to be the best way to reach audiences that are increasingly cutting cords and looking to their mobile screens. Still not convinced marketing video and digital video ads are right for you?
Here are 30 video marketing statistics for why video storytelling deserves to be emphasized in every brand’s digital content strategy – now, and for the foreseeable future:
Video content marketing and consumption is skyrocketing…
1. Mobile video consumption is rising 100% every year. (Invisia)
2. By 2022, 82% of consumer internet traffic will come from videos. (ImpactBND)
3. Digital video viewers in the US are expected to grow from 221.8 million to 239.2 million between 2017 and 2021. (eMarketer)
4. 85% of all internet users in the United States watched online video content monthly and 54% of consumers want to see more video content from brands and businesses they support. (Oberlo)
5. Latin America currently boasts the highest demand for video content worldwide. (HubSpot)
6. And, globally, IP video traffic will constitute 82% of all consumer Internet traffic by 2020, which is up from 70% since 2015. (Cisco)
7. In 2019, video was the #1 form of media used in content strategy, overtaking blogs and infographics. (2020 State of Marketing)
… especially for millennials on social platforms, mobile screens & OTT devices.
8. Millennials are the first age group to watch more TV shows on digital devices than traditional screens. (Variety)
9. YouTube reaches more 18-to-49-year-olds than top ten primetime US TV shows (Tubular Insights)
10. Over 500 million people watch videos on Facebook, Instagram reported over 400 million daily active Stories users worldwide, and 72 hours of video are uploaded to YouTube every 60 seconds. (Rocketium Academy)
11. Over 60% of Millennials and Gen Z consumers stream video daily. (Haivision)
12. 94.1% of millennial internet users were streaming digital video in 2019. (eMarketer)
13. 88% of millennials get their news digitally, whereas only 61% regularly consume TV news. (Nielsen)
14. 79% of millennials understand the necessity of ads in order for brands to inform the public of their products and services, 46% say that ads don’t bother them overall, and 75% say they’re not bothered by ads if the content they’re viewing is free. (Nielsen)
These video marketing statistics show digital video drives engagement & impacts consumer behavior…
15. 92% of mobile video viewers share videos with others. (Rocketium)
16. Social video generates 1200% more shares than text and images combined. (Responsive Inbound Marketing)
17. Social videos on Facebook generate 291% more reach and receive 375% more clicks than images on the platform. (Wibbitz)
18. Video ads have an average click-through rate of 1.84%, which is higher than any other digital format. (Tubular Insights)
19. Viewers retain 95% of a message when they watch it in a video compared to 10% when reading it in text. (Insivia)
20. The average user spends 88% more time on a website with video. (Wordstream)
21. 64% of shoppers are more likely to purchase a product after seeing a video about it. (Invisia)
22. Video on a landing page can increase conversions by 80% or more. (Adelie Studios)
And it’s where a majority of the ad dollars are going.
23. Digital ad spend surpassed TV for the first time in 2016, with a rapid increase every year since. (IAB)
24. U.S. internet ad spending is estimated to jump 12.4% in 2020 to $135 billion, which will account for 53% of ad spending. (AdAge)
25. By 2021, digital ad spend, including video, will contribute to half of total media ad spending worldwide. (PubMatic)
26. U.S. marketers are projected to spend $27.23 billion on programmatic video in 2020. (eMarketer)
27. New digital video ad formats are expected to rapidly increase, particularly stories and shoppable ads (IAB)
28. Social network video ad spending by US marketers will grow 23.2% in 2020 to $13.44 billion. (eMarketer)
29. Marketers who use video grow revenue 49% faster than non-video users. (Wordstream)
30. 51.9% of marketing professionals worldwide name video as the type of content with the best ROI. (Hubspot)
Ready to make the case for video content marketing and storytelling? Use these 30 video marketing statistics to help guide your team towards success in 2020 and beyond.