Advertising in 2020, like everything else, just isn’t what it used to be. And there’s a fine line that all marketers need to pay attention to – in our messaging, and even in the intentions that we set behind our ads and marketing campaigns. If you don’t mention the current state of the world, you may seem out of touch. If you do, you may seem disingenuous, performative, or give off the impression that you’re attempting to capitalize on a challenging time.
Now, more than ever, of course, we need to be thinking of ways to connect with our audiences. Video can provide big benefits here, especially in times when many are feeling isolated and longing for some interaction. Here we take a look at some advertising trends 2020 style.
Your audience expects to see your ads
The good news for advertisers these days is that, for the most part, consumers are still generally okay with and expect to see your ads. In fact, being in front of key audiences is a great way to stay connected in times of social distancing. Even new brand advertising can benefit from efforts to reach out to connect in compelling ways with a corona advertising strategy.
In fact, according to a survey ran by Kantar, only 8% of consumers think that brands should “stop advertising” entirely during this time. Of those remaining 92%, 77% would like brands to “Talk about how the brand is helpful in the new everyday life,” 75% want ads to “Inform about their efforts to face the situation,” and 70% like those that “Offer a reassuring tone.” Obviously, most advertisers have done their research as well—since most of the video ads that are being produced these days seem to be trying to hit at least one of those sweet spots.
Want to promote your business with video?
Explore all the ways that Wibbitz makes it easy (and fun!) for marketers with any skillset.
It doesn’t have to cost a lot (of time, or money)
Of course, we all know that high-end video campaigns can cost thousands of dollars, and take several weeks to produce. And most of us don’t have the time or budget to do so (especially these days).
But good news: they don’t have to. In fact, we decided to prove it ourselves. Below, we’ve recreated some of the most common tropes coming out of brands’ high-budget video ads these days, but for a fraction of the cost and in far less time.
3 relevant remakes in under 20 minutes
Inspirational soundtrack-driven montage
IKEA mastered the advertising trends of 2020 with this gorgeous ad. With everyone sheltering in place, IKEA perfectly captures the idea that our homes are our refuge, workplace, and playground all at once. Now check out the Wibbitz version where we capture the spirit of city living while staying connected during the pandemic.
We think our version is worthy of trending ads of 2020 too. With images we can all relate to, a soundtrack that supports the loving visual connections, and just the right amount of movement, we think it’s pretty amazing what can be done in less than 20 minutes.
Staying normal in a not-so-normal world
ESPN is one large organization with an audience that is feeling increasingly disconnected from a wide array of beloved sporting activities—from boxing to spelling bees, and everything in between. Which is why, during the unprecedented shutdown, ESPN’s team produced this high-budget ad, to provide heartwarming flashbacks from the pre-COVID days.
But our 20-minute version conveys the same sense of togetherness and a less socially-distanced time that comes across as both nostalgic—and hopeful—and provides a great solution for businesses that previously depended on building in-person connections.
Building connections from a (virtual) distance
Who hasn’t Zoomed at least once over the past several months in an effort to find some face-time with friends, colleagues, relatives—and even strangers? This well-designed Jack Daniel’s video shares some familiar—and funny—Zoom moments, to the lilting notes of True Colors.
Not to be outdone, we created our own “Zoom hangs” video, and we don’t think it suffers a bit for not costing a fortune or taking an inordinate amount of time to produce—less than 20 minutes in fact.
Things are changing quickly for all of us these days. Your customers’ and audiences’ needs are likely changing just as rapidly. Fortunately, Wibbitz Studio allows you to create engaging videos quickly, easily, and cost-effectively, following the trends that are resonating most with your audiences, and moving nimbly to push out key messages that can help you stay connected—even in disconnected, and disconcerting, times.